Sweet Potatoes Topped with Marshmallows and Pecans
Here’s a great side dish to your to add to your holiday gatherings, candied sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows and pecans. Don’t forget the vanilla ice cream.
This simple and quick recipe is also kid friendly. If you have a sweet tooth, this recipe will definitely fix that.
4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
5 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup golden brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups marshmallows, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place potatoes in casserole dish or 13 x 9 x 2 in glass baking dish.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat combine butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt.
- Bring to boil and stir until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture over sweet potatoes to coat completely.
- Cover dish with foil and bake 50 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to bake until potatoes are tender and syrup thickens. Approximately 20 minutes (depends on your oven).
- Raise oven temperature to 500°F. Top sweet potatoes with marshmallows and pecans. Bake until marshmallows begin to melt and nuts turn brown, approximately 3 minutes (depending on your oven).